Thursday, February 09, 2006

I'm in training, too

Hi everyone. I'm gearing up for the Knitting Olympics. I'm using the Cashmerino (my largest yarn purcha$e in a long time) and I finished swatching today. I'm pretty close on stitches but my row count is long. I'll keep an eye on it. Right now I'm working on the provisional cast-on so I don't get hung up on that and ruin a promising start.

The kicker is that recently (okay, yesterday morning), I decided not only to try knitting continental instead of English, but I also switched directions. As a leftie, I've always knitting mirror-image to what is normal (right to left); now I'm going the same way as everyone else. And I plan to do Tubey continental, the normal way.

It's not as hard as it sounds because I've always carried my yarn in my left hand, it's just that I was knitting in the opposite direction before, and throwing instead of picking. At least tension is not a problem. Right now my speed is not so good, but I am getting faster every time I pick it up and I'm hoping that the 16-day challenge will turn me into a speedy continental knitter by the time it's all over.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

2 Comments:

Blogger meranie said...

Man, you're going to do Tubey for Knitting Olympics, AND change from lefty-knitting to continental?? You **are** amazing. I am a righty who was taught by a lefty so I knit from right to left... and I rather like it. I do need to compensate and twist my purl stitches, but other than that... it just makes more sense to me.


I think you'll do fine. You've got me cheering for you!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Atla said...

Wow, um, good luck with that!

6:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home