Monday, January 09, 2006

re: (sleeve) modifying question

Heh. Once again, I'm commenting without any first-hand experience. Can't resist the know-it-all impulse, I guess. :)
If anybody disagrees with my analysis, say so!

I read through the pattern pretty carefully, and it sounds like you:
- make a complete shrug
- cast on some stitches for the front of the body
- pick up stitches from the strug for the back of the body
- join these into a circle, and work the body downward until it's long enough.

So it sounds like the consequences of sizing up the shrug portion (without other modifications) would be:
- you get looser sleeves
- the shoulder width would be wider (that's the red arrow below)
- the back-length of the shrug would be longer (that's the blue arrow below)


You could easily fix the shoulder width issue by working fewer rows for the back section. (That's right at the beginning of the instructions: you work the entire back of the shrug first, and then the first sleeve, and then you pick up live stitches on the straight section and work the other sleeve in the opposite direction). You could use the "until work measures" number for a smaller size. Just remember that this measurement has to be bigger than your shoulder width, since it includes the part that goes up and over your neck too:

(the red lines here are twice the length of the shrug back section: both the top and the bottom of the shrug opening)

The back-length issue is trickier, since the length of the shrug back is the same as the circumference of the sleeves. If you don't want a longer back, you'll have to use the smaller size when you cast on for the back, and then do some increases when you get to the sleeve openings.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are freaking brilliant. Cn I direct all these questions I've been getting to you going forwards? ;)

I don't think there's a big problem with extra back length, because the top edge of the shrug rolls under slightly anyway. Also, all you'd have to do is try on the sweater as your working on the body to make sure the body doesn't get too long.

Also, I think you could shift up or down by one size and when you picked up the stitches for the body it would be okay. The rib will make it work!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Nadira said...

Aw, thanks. I'm just a geek.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Jess, thanks from me too! I LOVE you experienced math loving knitters!

6:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi jess! I am just about to start my Tubey and I have broad shoulders and a small body. I am really confused as to what to do for the pattern. I don't want any bunchiness and I am still pretty amateur so I am not sure how to alter the pattern much. How is your second one going? I've got a 22" back measurement and a 35" bust :( Thanks for any help you could give me.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home