Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Hi! Just joined the knitalong

I started my Tubey on Sunday--just about 6 inches of the back so far. I'm using Filatura di Crosa's Zara in black, and I'm making it all black...not terribly exciting, I know.

Anyway, I have some concerns about how the stitches are going to look once I switch to the circular knitting part. The pink fabric pictured below is from another project where I used Zara and switched from straight knitting (top half) to circular knitting (bottom half). It is a pretty noticeable change in stitch definition.

So far, my tubey's stitches look like the top half.

Does anyone have any tips for making the circular part look consistent with what I have now? Anyone else have this problem? Any advice would be appreciated--Thanks!

3 Comments:

Blogger wittyknits said...

I have two theories on what is going on here:

1. It's possible that you purl looser than you knit, therefore, when you move to circular and are only on the right side and knitting, the fabric tightens up a bit. I'm not entirely sure how you fix this, but it almost looks like moving up a needle size would help.

2. Are you twisting your knit stitches? (ie., either wrapping the opposite direction from most people, or inserting the needle the other direction) It's hard to tell without actually handling your swatch, but the stitches almost look like the legs are twisted in the "v" shape of the knits. That would definitely affect the fabric once you hit the in the round section, because you'd have twisted stitches every row rather than every other row, as you would in the flat section, since your purls aren't twisted.

This is hard to explain in words.

I'm leaning towards my second theory based on the photo. I recommend finding some videos or photos online to see if your process for knitting is somehow different than the "norm."

(I put "norm" in quotes, because I don't necessarily believe there's a right or wrong way to knit, you just have to know how to adapt your own style to make the outcome what you want! :-) )

7:24 AM  
Blogger ra said...

I don't think that you need to worry about it overmuch because
1. you'll be knitting at right angles to yourself
2. the sleeves are in st st and the body is in ribbing
it won't show up too much.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Adri said...

wittyknits, you're right-- I've been knitting through the back of the stitch instead of the front (it just feels more natural this way!).
I just knitted up a swatch the normal way, and the stitches look much neater. I'll have to knit up a circular swatch this weekend, just to be sure it isn't something else, but I have a feeling this will fix the consistency problem.

Luckily, I haven't done too much yet, so starting over at this point won't be a huge deal.

Thanks for the help!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home