Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Tubey Done!

Hey there! Here's my finished (unblocked) Tubey -- made from super cheap Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red(3 six ounce skeins). Sorry for the ugly brown track pants, but I figure you're looking at the sweater and not the britches ;-)

I made the second to the smallest size and wish I'd have made the smallest size, as the sweater's a little big (especially across the back shoulders). I still really like the way the sweater turned out and will probably wear it a lot. I was really worried about my bra straps showing but was afraid that I'd lose the affect of the beautiful neckline if I took up the sides too much so I just decided to wear a lacey camisole underneath instead. Things I'd do differently next time (in addition to making a smaller size) would be to go down at least one needle size (to a size 7) for the ribbing. I think this would give the body a little more structure. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing if I was going to make another long sleeved version. I am however, seriously thinking about making a "spring" version of Tubey with elbow length sleeves (with the 3 X 1 ribbing at the bottom of the sleeves) in a light weight yarn such as Knit Picks Shine on size 4 needles. Yeah, it'll take a while on size 4's but I think the results will be worth it. The pattern would need to be modified to accommodate the smaller gauge, but this would be easy to do.

All in all, this was a quick and easy sweater to make. I can definitely see the benefit though of adding stripes to break up the monotony of the stockinette stitch sleeves and the 18" of ribbing on the body. Thanks Cassie for an awesome pattern!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful color! I am slightly worried about fit issues across the back as well, but it's hard to know until I've made some headway on the body tube.

Still, it looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll wear it a lot. Now you're inspiring me to do a solid color one...then a short-sleeve one....

4:40 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

it looks great! love that color.

yeah, i think it's better to go down a size on this one so that it's a little more clingy. and the back seems to be a little big on everyone.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home