Sunday, February 12, 2006

New Here!

Hello fellow Tubers!!! Jeanie here from Texas and here's my Tubey so far. I started this just a few days ago and it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be. I'm using a super cheap acrylic yarn (Caron Simply Soft) in Autumn Red on size 8 needles. The gauge isn't spot on, but it's close enough for this top. I do think though that if I were to knit this again using the same yarn, I'd go down at least one needle size for the body.

I'm enjoying knitting this a lot, but can definitely see the advantage of making a striped Tubey as it would help break up the monotony of the endless ribbing. And while I would love to make another striped Tubey in another long sleeve worsted weight version, I have already decided that I will make a shorter sleeved (to the elbow) version with several (at least 3) inches of the same 3X1 ribbing at the bottom of each sleeve in a lighter weight yarn (Knit Picks Shine comes to mind) for spring. Size 4 needles? Yeah baby.

And just for grins, I timed myself to see how long it was taking me to knit a row of the 3 X 1 ribbing. I hate to admit it (it makes me sound like such a slow knitter) but it takes me about 8 minutes to do one row of ribbing (yeah, I'm an English knitter). It also takes 6 rows of ribbing to make one inch of Tubey, so that's about 48 minutes per inch. Multiply that by 18 inches and that's a lot of hours on ol' Tubey! Oh well, I figure I'm about halfway done with the body so I'm getting closer to the finish line!

I do have a question for those of you who have already finished your Tubey's.... are you able to wear a bra without the bra straps showing with this sweater or do you have to wear a strapless?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks great! And did you make our own dressmaker's form? That's very cool.

I tend to calculate out my time-to-knit and rows-per-minute and all that as I knit, too. It always gets done eventually, though!

4:33 AM  
Blogger Nadira said...

I had a duct tape dummy too! I overstuffed mine, though, and she exploded. :)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home